So I finally broke down and registered nerdlogger.com with easydns.com. I’ve used their service for my own ayromlou.ca canadian domain, so I figured, why not. Under ayromlou.ca I was doing all kinds of redirects to get www.ayromlou.ca to point to nerdlogger.blogspot.com (which is the standard addressing scheme for blogs on blogger). Now, here is how I got my custom domain name (nerdlogger.com) to work:
- Obviously first register your domain name. I went over to easydns.ca (.com is the same company) and registered nerdlogger.com (I use the DNS-Only service & Registry Fees)
- Give them about 2-4 hours to propagate the DNS information. Do not change anything during this time.
- Now after about 4 hours go back and login. You should see the Members page and somewhere in there there should be a listing of the domains you own under domain settings. Click the DNS command next to the domain you want to use and you should see a page with a bunch of stuff relating to your brand new domain.
- Scroll down to hosts section and delete all the predefined hosts (click the check box next to them and delete).
- Now on that same page (you might have to navigate back to it from the members page) under aliases setup a CNAME (alias) for www with the corresponding A Record (host) for ghs.google.com and press next to submit it. Make sure it says www only and ghs.google.com and nothing else.
- Now you have to wait another couple of hours for the new information to propagate.
- Log back into your easydns account and check the domain information page it should have a CNAME (alias) for www.yoursite.com. (Note the terminating DOT) and a Point to A Record (host) of ghs.google.com. (Note the terminating DOT).
- Now log into your blogger account and switch to the settings page. Look under publishing tab and select Switch to: Custom Domain. Fill the Your Domain field with www.yoursite.com and press Save Settings.
- Wait another 10 minutes and try going to http://www.yoursite.com and/or http://yoursite.com. Both should work at this point.